Thursday, March 5, 2009

I want my Diflucan back

Hi folks,

I'm one week into my course of Ceftin and Biaxin, and I figured a quick update was in order.

In the hiatus between Diflucan and the current meds, I experienced worsening symptoms. First, some neuro issues I mentioned in the last post, and then a couple days before I started the new stuff, crushing fatigue.

It's really hard to get across to someone who hasn't experienced this. At one point I finally got myself into the bedroom, with eyeglasses and a book, sitting in bed. Exhausted. Now, all I had to do was reach over about 18 inches and pick up the book. Not possible. So I just sat there, willing it to float over to me. Unsurprisingly, this didn't work.

This level of fatigue lasted about a week. I found it interesting (and dismaying) that it even occurred on waking in the morning after a good night's sleep. Get out of bed, and instant exhaustion.

Yesterday the fatigue lessened, but is still lurking. It was replaced by pain. The usual lyme muscle inflammation of back, shoulders, and neck that I often have, just worse. Oh well. I'll take fatigue and pain any day over anxiety and brain fog.

My doc says it's probably too early to herx from the new meds. So all this is just going off the Diflucan? I'm not sure. Sickening how fast the gains retrace. Anyway, I'm able to get some writing done - both freelance financial analysis articles, and writing code (before I got sick I worked as a programmer). This stuff becomes much harder, to impossible when the brain messes up.

Tune in next week or so for the "herx report". Ha ha.

4 comments:

Naomi said...

Hi Joe-- I know how this goes! I agree, fatigue is better than feeling like you're going crazy. :)I'm glad you are able to write & thanks for your kind comments on my blog.

Naomi

Anonymous said...

Would you be willing to post a review of my book ( http://www.lymeboo.com ) on your blog if I send you a free copy?

Bryan
theskyking >at< aol.com

Anonymous said...

Sorry - website is lymebook.com, not lymeboo.com

Bryan

Joe said...

Hi Bryan,
Thanks for the offer of a free book, but no thanks, I'm not interested.

Regards,
-joe