Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Squirrels keep me busy...

What kind of "bird" is this?

My attempt at feeding the birds, and not being molested by squirrels reminds me of Bill Murray in Caddyshack. I put up some new bird feeders the other day, on presumably squirrel-proof hangers. I watched as a few lovely little songbirds came to feed.

After doing other things for a few hours, I came back. There were 11 large crows and 7 fat squirrels on the deck, and no "lovely little songbirds". The feeders were mostly empty, and all chewed up. One of them had parts strewn all over the deck and yard.

So, after thinking about it for a while, and making a cardboard template, I bought a piece of plexiglas. I cut it to size, thinking I could still see the birds through it, and that it would be a barrier to the squirrels. I set it all up, and put the feeder back together and re-filled it. All ready for the birds now.

That was yesterday. By the time I got up this morning, the squirrels had already figured out how to get around the barrier. And the birds looked kind of confused.

I've got one other idea involving mounting a large post and hook on the deck, hanging the feeder higher than it is now. But in the meantime, while I was considering this, the squirrels continued climbing over the barrier and gobbling all the food, with me sitting just a few feet away. Ugh. They're really cute, but they pissed me off a bit. So I took my son's BB gun and pumped it lightly, so as not to do any real damage. Well, perhaps I should pump it even lighter. I took one shot, hit one in the rump, and boy did he jump. And now there's not a squirrel to be seen anywhere. I feel kind of bad, like it's their job to try and get the food, and I didn't play fair.

Anyway...

I heard from my Lyme doc today. Yesterday's blood test results were in, showing that taking a few days off the meds allowed my kidneys to completely recover. And it showed that at least part of the earlier high kidney reading was likely due to muscle inflammation, which is due to the Lyme, not the meds.

The liver function is struggling again, so it's not all good news, but encouraging enough to allow me to continue the course of tetracycline and diflucan. So, I'm back on medication. Yay, I guess.

I've been feeling really good the last few days. Very few issues. And now, within a half-hour of taking the meds I have fatigue and "cognitive deficits" again. It always amazes me how fast things can change with this illness.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though. One thing I remember from Buhner's book Healing Lyme was the fact that lyme spirochetes will swarm through the bloodstream to the site of a new tick bite literally within a few seconds. The idea is to infect the new tick, and spread the illness. But the idea that the spirochetes can respond so quickly to the chemicals put into the bloodstream from the tick bite is rather amazing.

I can only imagine all the instant thrashing that goes on when tetracycline enters the bloodstream. All the spirochetes either dying or burrowing - literally drilling their way into collagen-rich tissue, like eyes, brain, joints, skin.

I'm not sure what to expect now. Since I took time off, is there a second diflucan flare coming in 5 days? I'll just have to wait and see. I'm leaving my calendar open, just in case.

1 comments:

Naomi Adams said...

Hi Joe: Your story about the bb gun and the squirrels had me laughing! See-- staying at home can have its little adventures. :)

Sorry to read your last post about all your financial difficulties. Here's hoping something will come through for you-- a change in insurance, a speedy recovery, or both.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Naomi